Skip to main content

Where to buy a decent Tech 2 clone to unlock stock head unit

Looking for a decent Tech II of some sort for unlocking a radio
Cost: Dealership will do it for $135, which isn’t bad too me compared to what i’ve seen others pay.
Tip and guide:
If your going to wrench on the car, then pick up a Tech II clone; since your going to need one for even simple things like when you go to flush the brake lines (cycle the ABS pump) or need to pull body codes that a standard scanner will not pull.
Tech-2-unlocking-radio
That link at $224 is a good deal. I thought they were more like the link below that one usually, closer to $300. I keep an eye out in the classifieds here but they always go very quickly
Here is how to unlock the radio with the clone Tech II
You need to find either a dealer or an independent shop that has a TECH II to “unlock” your nav unit. The GM radios are VIN specific, so the unlock process involves clearing the old VIN # from the nav unit, and allowing it to accept your VIN #. As I said, this can be done by anyone who has access to a TECH II. All GM dealers should have them, and if they tell you they can’t unlock the radio, they are not telling you the truth. I went to my local Chevrolet dealer when I installed the nav unit in my 08 base. It’s about a 5 minute job, but they charged me a 1 hour minimum labor $130.
I copied the how to shown below from a fellow forum member.
Here is how to use the TECH II to put the Nav unit into relearn mode:
Connect TECH II to car and put the car into acc. mode
At the main screen, select diagnostics
At systems selection menu screen, select body
At the VIN indent screen select
Appropriate model
Appropriate air conditioning
Nav radio
At the body screen, select Nav radio
At the radio screen, select special functions
At the special functions screen, select VIN relearn
At the VIN relearn screen, the scan tool will display, “do you want to clear the radio theft
information?”
To begin clearing, press the soft touch key on the top right of the scan tool. The TECH II will display “clearing theft in progress”
Once done, press exit on the GM MDI and cycle the ignition
It’s done and the Nav unit will now marry to your car.
NOTE:
If the radio is just in lock mode from it being in another vet first, then it just a mater of clearing the radio from it being married to another car’s BCM, then when you start the car, it will pair to register it to the BCM in your car.
As for the may not be able to, it just depends on the dealer, since some will want a bill of sale for the old Vet owner of the radio to verify that it not a stolen unit that they are marring to another car instead.
As for if this OEM radio has always been in the car, and went into lock mode, then there is a problem on the GM land bus or the radio itself that is causing the problem, and just clearing the old marriage so it can remarry to the car, may not fix the problem instead.
loading..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Solve VW Amarok Caddy 2018+ Remote Not Working After Programming

Here comes the general problem of VW Amarok Caddy etc. 2018+ UDS protocol vehicles: 2019 VW Caddy. I spent a few hours programming the Xhorse key using VVDI2 . Also tried TDB1000. Remote function could not be obtained. Every time the programming failed, the original remote stopped working until I scanned and cleared errors. I expected it to work when the transponder was added (Megamos AES). I can’t access remote learning with any of my tools, nor did vvdi2 let me program the remote. I was wondering if anyone could confirm remote learning with transponders or how to learn it if not. Solution: It is not possible for BH remote controls after 2018 at the latest. You will not get any communication with the central locking remote control customization. You need a dealer key 100% and then learn from ODIS. There is no after-market solution, VAG blocked the remote channel on UDS vehicles 2018+. Had the exact same issues with new caddies. So merchant key and Odis ATM since the c...

John Deere Service Advisor 4.2 CF – Construction & Forestry incl. Hitachi + History DVD 2016

John Deere Service Advisor  4.2 CF – Construction & Forestry incl. Hitachi 2/2016 contains detailed information on all the procedures for repair and maintenance, a lot of illustrations, wiring diagrams, electrical and hydraulic circuits for construction and forestry equipment John Deere. Service Advisor contains information about setting up data, troubleshooting procedures, symptoms of malfunctions, the order of disassembly and assembly, adjustment data, torque. Electronic program is designed to handle all maintenance issues, eliminate breakdowns and malfunctions. Installation of this software is very easy and doesn’t require additional knowledge. The program allows you to quickly and easily find information and solve problems with machinery John Deere. This service advisor is designed to work with Windows XP, 7, 8. This software works under Windows 10 but wasn’t tested with EDL adapter and drivers. This version of Service Advisor has built-in hot...

How to get EVAP not ready IM to pass with Tech2

  I’ve been struggling with this for months now and I came across a post of the Cadillac forum where someone mentioned using the GM Tech2 handheld scanner and running the “Evap service bay” test. First you will need the VCX Nano from obd2tool , it comes with the software for Tech2 and  GDS2 emulators and install it on a laptop. The Evap test should be done from a cold start so have everything ready. The reason I failed the Tech2 EVAP test first time was you must keep RPM between 1800-2200 for 8 minutes it was impossible to do that with foot so it failed and i had to wait overnight for a cold start. What i did to fix was I found a piece of wood and placed it between the seat and gas pedal and move the electric seat until RPM is 2000. This worked perfectly I used this when doing brake light testing for inspection as well. *   Have everything set up, I opened hood so it wouldn’t get too hot, connect the VCX Nano to the OBD2 port and your laptop and go to t...