Skip to main content

Reset BMW E36 Airbag by INPA or Foxwell NT530

 

Car model and year: BMW E36 1996 – 2002

Symptom: Seats airbag light on

Take the seats out and have them reupholstered why the car is sitting. I ended up starting the car during the procedure of removal. Now the seats are out and the airbag light is on

How to reset BMW E36 Seats airbag light on?

You need BMW ICOM INPA or a diagnostic tool (I.E Foxwell nt530) to clear it. Airbag lights are not self-clearing. Once the cluster light illuminates the error needs to be corrected (reattach the wiring in this case) and the trouble code erased.

Which current market tools can read the error codes?

1. Inpa: Confirmed

INPA software has reset the light a few times. That’s why I loaded it onto an old laptop. It’s free, except for cost of cables, about $20. Here’s the inpa cable link:

bmw-inpa-cable (2)

INPA is a factory tool that BMW still uses today. Not dealer, factory. We have access to an older version that snuck out the side door years ago. It provides all the functionality you could need or ask for for this era of BMW. Of course, it needs to be installed on a laptop, but compatible machines can be obtained very cheaply if you dont have one just laying around.

2. The Peake tool: has bug

The Peake tool is NLA, the entire company is gone… about a decade too late. It is a 1980’s grade tool that they kept trying to limp into this century with marketing. The Chinese offering off Aliexpress and Amazon/eBay is a clone of the Peake circuitry and software. It has a nasty bug in it that has cost many people much time and $$$ chasing the wrong fault. That bug was copied from the Peake tool.
Go INPA

3. Foxwell N530 BMW scanner: Confirmed

I have the Foxwell N530 tool and it also resets the SRS light as well as OBD2, maintenance minder, and other modules. Not as capable as INPA but it is a self contained handheld unit and doesn’t require a laptop.
I just sold my Peake SRS tool.

foxwell-nt53-scanner (2)

PS: Get a Foxwell tool along with the round 20 pin connector for about $170 and you will have a capable scan tool for this and future work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Solve VW Amarok Caddy 2018+ Remote Not Working After Programming

Here comes the general problem of VW Amarok Caddy etc. 2018+ UDS protocol vehicles: 2019 VW Caddy. I spent a few hours programming the Xhorse key using VVDI2 . Also tried TDB1000. Remote function could not be obtained. Every time the programming failed, the original remote stopped working until I scanned and cleared errors. I expected it to work when the transponder was added (Megamos AES). I can’t access remote learning with any of my tools, nor did vvdi2 let me program the remote. I was wondering if anyone could confirm remote learning with transponders or how to learn it if not. Solution: It is not possible for BH remote controls after 2018 at the latest. You will not get any communication with the central locking remote control customization. You need a dealer key 100% and then learn from ODIS. There is no after-market solution, VAG blocked the remote channel on UDS vehicles 2018+. Had the exact same issues with new caddies. So merchant key and Odis ATM since the c...

John Deere Service Advisor 4.2 CF – Construction & Forestry incl. Hitachi + History DVD 2016

John Deere Service Advisor  4.2 CF – Construction & Forestry incl. Hitachi 2/2016 contains detailed information on all the procedures for repair and maintenance, a lot of illustrations, wiring diagrams, electrical and hydraulic circuits for construction and forestry equipment John Deere. Service Advisor contains information about setting up data, troubleshooting procedures, symptoms of malfunctions, the order of disassembly and assembly, adjustment data, torque. Electronic program is designed to handle all maintenance issues, eliminate breakdowns and malfunctions. Installation of this software is very easy and doesn’t require additional knowledge. The program allows you to quickly and easily find information and solve problems with machinery John Deere. This service advisor is designed to work with Windows XP, 7, 8. This software works under Windows 10 but wasn’t tested with EDL adapter and drivers. This version of Service Advisor has built-in hot...

How to get EVAP not ready IM to pass with Tech2

  I’ve been struggling with this for months now and I came across a post of the Cadillac forum where someone mentioned using the GM Tech2 handheld scanner and running the “Evap service bay” test. First you will need the VCX Nano from obd2tool , it comes with the software for Tech2 and  GDS2 emulators and install it on a laptop. The Evap test should be done from a cold start so have everything ready. The reason I failed the Tech2 EVAP test first time was you must keep RPM between 1800-2200 for 8 minutes it was impossible to do that with foot so it failed and i had to wait overnight for a cold start. What i did to fix was I found a piece of wood and placed it between the seat and gas pedal and move the electric seat until RPM is 2000. This worked perfectly I used this when doing brake light testing for inspection as well. *   Have everything set up, I opened hood so it wouldn’t get too hot, connect the VCX Nano to the OBD2 port and your laptop and go to t...